José F. Rodríguez Orengo, Ph.D. Professor, Associate Director,
Biochemical pharmacology and proteomics of agents
against HIV and HCV.
Ph.D., 1989, Texas A&M University
Phone: (787) 758-2525 ext. 1349
The research that we are conducting is related to three main areas. The first area is the understanding of biochemical/pharmacology processes of antiretroviral and anticancer drugs in the Puerto Rican population. These studies include the plasmatic and intracellular pharmacokinetics of such agents in the pediatric, adolescent, and adult populations. Furthermore, we are interested in the enzymatic pathways that are responsible for the activation of these drugs. The second area is related with biomarkers of disease using endogenous antioxidant agents and related compounds. Glutathione is being studied as a marker for disease progression in HIV patients. In addition, we are studying homocysteine levels in patients with cardiac problems, to understand the role of this compound and its enzymes at different stages of the disease. Molecular biology will be used to probe the genetic differences of important enzymes responsible for the production and excretion of these compounds. The third area is within the Center for Environmental Research and Toxicology, where a multidisciplinary approach is used to answer relevant environmental problems that are affecting the Puerto Rican population.
- A. Paz-Silva , G.V. Hillyer, R. Sánchez-Andrade, J.R. Rodríguez-Medina, M. Arias, P. Morrondo and P. Díez-Baños, (2004) Isolation, Identification and Expression of a Fasciola Hepatica cDNA Encoding a 2.9 KDa Recombinant Protein For The Diagnosis of Ovine Fasciolosis. (Parasitol Res. 2004 Dec 18; [Epub ahead of print])
- W. Ríos Muñoz, M. Irizarry Ramirez, F. Rivera Molina, S. Gonzalez Crespo, and J. R. Rodriguez-Medina (2003) Myosin II is important for maintaining regulated secretion and asymmetric localization of chitinase 1 in the budding yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch.Bioch.Biophys. 409/2 411-413.
- Rodriguez, J.F.; Cordero, J.; Chantry, C; Gonzalez, S.; Rivera, C.; Febo, I.; Colon, A.; Diaz, C. Glutathione levels in HIV-infected Children The Pediatrics Infectious Disease Journal, 17:236-241 (1998).
- Font, E.; Lasanta, S.; Rosario, O.; Rodriguez, J.F. Analysis of Antiretroviral Nucleosides by Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry and Collision Induced Dissociation Nucleosides and Nucleotides, 17(5), 845-854 (1998).PubMed Entry
- Bloom, J.; Ortiz, J.; Rodriguez, J.F Azidothymidine Triphosphate Determination using Micellar Electrokinetic Capillary Chromatography Cellular and Molecular Biology 43(7), 1051-1055 (1997).PubMed Entry
- Soriaga, M.P.; Serrette, G.P.D.; Rodriguez, J.F. Electrode-Surface Coordination/ Organometallic Chemistry Current Topics in Electrochemistry 1993, 2, 45-63.