To provide an organized educational program that facilitates the training of a competent and independent dermatologist with a commitment to the profession and to excellence in the quality of the patient care.
The Department of Dermatology of the University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine has a commitment with the training of residents with a high sense of responsibility to the care of patients with dermatological diseases. Since its establishment in 1966, the department has trained numerous skilled dermatologists with high ethical values.
The Dermatology Residency Program of the University of Puerto Rico, School of Medicine complies with the requirements established by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education. It is directed by the policies of the Graduate Medical Education Office of the University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus.
It is affiliated to several institutions that include:
- The University District Hospital at the Puerto Rico Medical Center
- University Pediatric Hospital
- San Juan City Hospital
- University of Puerto Rico Hospital at Carolina
Residency Program Educational Goals:
- To enable physicians to become proficient in the diagnosis and treatment of skin diseases
- To enable physicians to complete the requirements for eligibility of the examination by the American Board of Dermatology.
- To facilitate the personal and professional development of residents under a comprehensive coordinated and supervised educational process.
- To train residents to become highly skilled dermatologists with a humanistic background that value patients’ well being above any economic consideration.
- To train residents knowledgeable of the health system in which they will practice with understanding and sensitivity to diversity and a responsible attitude toward their patients, their profession and society.
- To stimulate research activity in the field of dermatology
- To train residents that demonstrate commitment to continued professional development and education.
- To advocate for improvement in quality care in any medical setting.
Demonstrate a commitment to ethical principles and to their professional responsibilities.