A student shall be admitted to candidacy when he or she has complied with the following requirements:
- Approval of at least 25 credits
- Overall average of 3.0 in graduate courses taken, and also 3.0 average in the courses of the student’s major Department.
- Satisfied any language requirements set by student’s Research Committee.
- Submitted a thesis proposal which was approved both by the Research and the Graduate Committees.
- Received a favorable recommendation from his Research Committee based on the student’s dedication to, and capacity for, graduate study.
- Passed a comprehensive examination administered by the Department.
(This examination can be taken only twice).
- Satisfied any departmental requirements in addition to the above.
The student should complete the candidacy requirements by the end of his or her second year in the Graduate Committee.